Steve & Marty at the
Well here they are ! The photographs I've waited five years to take, and I'm looking forward to hearing people's reactions. Photos of The Church are hard to find; concert photographs are even rarer which is why I wanted to take these.
Please enjoy them, edit them, process them; do whatever you want but please don't sell them or use them for profit. It'd be nice if you included my name too :)
These are first draft scans; I didn't have time to get closer at the scanning stage, but big thanks to Russell and his cool little scanner; I'll be over again soon !
Viewing Tip: These pictures are best viewed in at least "65 000 colour mode" (HiColour ?). 256 colour drivers make them look fairly chunky without proper dithering.
Marty was standing on the far side of the stage from me, so there are fewer closeups and the quality of those aren't terrific.
- Marty 1 Marty strumming his guitar (duh !)
- Marty 2 During a quiet moment Marty played with care
- Marty 3 He seemed to think he was still driving his electric guitars
- Marty 4 Closeup of same
- Marty 5 Better shot of guitar than Marty !
- Marty 6 Just the face - and the lights came up a bit too
- Marty 7 Back into deep concentration
- Marty 8 Still there...lots of these quiet-type pictures because at 1/45th of a second he had to be fairly still for it to come out sharp
- Marty 9 "Who's that with the camera ?"
- Marty 10 Leaning in to belt out a chorus
- Marty 11 Building a solo with the crowd pushing him on
- Marty 12 Contemplating while Steve retunes. I remember hoping the dim red light would come out OK...it was borderline though
These look quite good when displayed against a black background
- Steve 1 My favourite picture of the night ! The colours and the calmness in it are quite memorable for me.
- Steve 2 Cathy has created an eerier version of this picture which now graces the background of this page.
Here's how she did it.
- Steve 3 He stood back while Marty sang,and I thought this image of him under the lights was a good one to capture.
- Steve 4 A bright side-on shot
- Steve 5 Slightly backlit and more front on
- Steve 6 Steve and guitar being strummed...yep, I've got to vary these shots more in future :-) !
Steve and Marty
- SK & MWP 1 Steve concentrates on giving Marty a solid backing to work with
- SK & MWP 2 Guess what...this time they're BOTH strumming !
All these photos were taken on Kodak Royal Gold III 1000 ASA and pushed to 1600 or 2000 ASA. They were processed at 1600 ASA. I used a Canon EOS100 with a Tamron 28-200 f4.5-5.6 lens and used the spot meter (usually aimed at the guitars because they were brighter than the faces !) Shutter speeds ranged from 1/30 to 1/90. If I could have changed one piece of equipment it'd be to a faster lens. f5.6 was just about enough, but nice 100-200mm f1.8 would've be very welcome.
Extensive and colossal thanks to Steve Kilbey and Marty Willson-Piper for their permission to take these photographs. I hope they like what I've done.
Look at more pictures from the next show
Return to Pictures Page