Steve & Marty Return To The Continental Cafe
Here's another selection of photographs taken at The Continental Cafe on the 14th August 1995. Please enjoy them, edit them, process them; do whatever you want but please don't sell them or use them for profit. It'd be nice if you included my name too :)
The lighting this time (as compared to the other show was a bit darker, so my faster film didn't make much difference. Eventually though, it came up to a usable level and I snapped away like a madman !
Viewing Tip: These pictures are best viewed in at least "65 000 colour mode" (HiColour ?). 256 colour drivers make them look fairly chunky without proper dithering.
- Marty 1 This one's a bit of a "Study in Shape and Form" in that it's not actually in focus nor is it detailed.
- Marty 2 Another sidelit shot, but much nicer. Marty held still for about ten seconds here, playing softly.
- Marty 3 HAR ! This is the "passport photo" from the selection. It proves that Marty doesn't always look like a guitar-slinging demigod from the Land of Tremendously Cool People. Sorry Marty ! :)
- Marty 4 Another picture with more guitar than guitar player
- Marty 5 Marty strumming
- Marty 6 Ditto
- Marty 7 Another shadowy picture
- Marty 8 Back to strumming
- Marty 9 Belting out a song
- Marty 10 A smile to Steve. Originally a bit out of focus
- Steve 1 Side on picture of Steve. He's playing an Eb, so I think this was during Reptile.
- Steve 2 Nice backlit shot from the front of stage.
- Steve 3 Cool full-length shot while playing F major 7 chord - so it could be any song !
- Steve 4 Similar to previous picture, but zoomed back a bit. Maybe I should've moved around more that night...
- Steve 5 Extreme closeup of a hard working man
Steve and Marty
- From the front I only took a couple of pictures from this position
- From the side of the stage it took me a while to realize I was standing next to Margot Smith, a wonderful singer who has worked with Steve
- Heavy metal thrash session ? Well, not quite, but for a short burst Marty and Steve were really getting into it.
- Another side shot of the whole stage. You can see the onstage gear Marty uses too. How many devices would *you* run an acoustic guitar through ?!
All these photos were taken on TMax 3200 ASA, some were pushed to 5000. They were processed at 4000 ASA. I used a Canon EOS100 with a Tamron 28-200 f4.5-5.6 lens and used the spot meter (usually aimed at the guitars because they were brighter than the faces !) Shutter speeds ranged from 1/45 to 1/90.
Thanks again to Steve and Marty for their permission to take these photographs and to all those nice people who made room for me to stand at the side of the stage !
Go to first show pictures
Return to Pictures Page